Coupons allow you to offer discounts to your customers. When you apply a coupon to a customer, its value will be deducted from their next invoice(s).
The value of the coupon is deducted from the amount of the invoice before tax.
To create a coupon through the user interface:
- Access the "Coupons" section via the side menu;
- Click "Add a coupon";
- Choose a name and a code for your coupon;
- Define its value and period of validity; and
- Click "Add coupon" to confirm.
Here is what you should know about coupons:
- You can only apply a coupon to a customer if this customer has an active subscription;
- The currency of the coupon must match the currency of the subscription; and
- A customer can only benefit from one coupon at a time.
To apply a coupon to a customer:
- Select a customer from the list;
- Click "Actions" in the upper-right corner and select "Apply coupon";
- Select a coupon; and
- Click "Apply coupon" to confirm.
You can also apply coupons via the API (learn more).
Validity and application periods
The validity period defines how much time you have to apply a coupon to a customer before it expires. If the validity period is "Forever", you can apply the coupon at any time. If the validity period is "Multiple days", you must apply the coupon to a customer before the end of the period, otherwise it will be lost.
Once a coupon has been applied to a customer, its application periods depends on the customer's subscription. A coupon that has been applied to a customer continues to apply after the end of its validity period.
On June 16th, you create a $20 coupon that is valid for 10 days.
On June 25th, you decide to apply the coupon to a customer whose subscription is based on a $10 monthly plan that is paid in arrears.
Therefore, the coupon will be applied to both invoices generated at the end of June and at the end of July. Their total amount will be $0.
Coupons are deducted from the total amount of the following invoice(s), including the subscription (plan amount) and the charge fees (used for usage-based billing). In case of a coupon's value greater than an invoice, the remaining amount of discount will be applied to the following invoices, until the coupon is totally consumed or removed from a customer.
As mentioned previously, the value of the coupon is deducted from the amount of the invoice before tax.
Coupons cannot be applied to Add-ons or any other one-off fees
Edit, terminate and delete coupons
In the coupon view, you can click the ellipsis icon to see all available actions:
- Edit: allows you to modify the name, code and settings of the coupon;
- Terminate: allows you to deactivate the coupon so that it cannot be applied to any new customer (customers to whom the coupon has already been applied continue to benefit from it); and
- Delete: allows you to delete the coupon and remove it from the list (this action cannot be undone).
You cannot modify the value and validity period of a coupon, or delete it, if it is currently applied to a customer.
To remove a coupon that has been applied to a customer and is still active:
- Select the customer;
- Locate the coupon under "Overview";
- Click the bin icon on the right; and
- Click "Remove coupon" to confirm.
The coupon will instantly disappear from the customer view and will not be applied to the next invoice.